Monday, October 2, 2017

Baking Pies and Taking Names!

October 2, 2017


This week has been awesome and so full of stuff that I'm probably not even going to fit half of it into this email... but I'm sure gunna try. :) 

Monday- P day! Always fun! We got everything done that we needed to and then some! P Days are fantastic. That night we ended up having a member buy us lunch at the only diner in town which is fun because we are friends with the people who own it so it's always fun to go in and see them. 

Tuesday- On Tuesday we had service! We worked on setting up and cleaning a building in preparation for the Newtonia Fall Festival! Which is basically the best thing ever. It's like a miniature county fair, so it's a festival. haha, funny how that works. but Newtonia is just this little, cute town with very few people so it was fun. We had lunch with Danny and Marsha after words (she owns the library we usually volunteer at and she is helping put on the fall festival) and they were talking about the pie baking contest. I jokingly said "Aw shoot! If I'd thought ahead I would have gotten my mom's apple pie recipe and entered! We've been looking for ways to get involved in the community." He looked at me and said "You still can!" and I said "Naw, I'd have to have someone else get the recipe." So he whips out his phone and says "what's your mom's phone number?" I started laughing and, turns out, he wasn't kidding. So he got her apple pie recipe. After that we had a lesson with our investigator, Virgil. It was really,  really good and we talked about the Plan of Salvation and at the end of it he said "that actually makes a lot of sense." Go figure. :) After that we went to visit this older guy, Jesse, and we ended up helping him move his furniture around. I was pushing a recliner across the room and he said "You're like a bulldozer! What did you do to get that much strength???" I just smiled and said "I'm from Idaho Jesse!" He thought that was pretty funny. After that we had some scripture study with him and that was really good. After that we did some clerical work at home trying to stay organized. After that we had Dinner with the Lemons which was great as always! After dinner we decided that we had better make a practice apple pie. So we went home and exercised and then baked a pie. 

Wednesday- District Meeting! All of the missionaries close by got together and had a meeting. Since Sister Crandall and I couldn't eat a whole pie, we brought it to share and to get input on how to make our next one better. After that our district went out to lunch and then we went home. We had a lesson with a Former Investigator who, sadly, just isn't ready to accept the gospel yet. She has a lot of concerns that are holding her back and that's always disappointing. After that we took some copies of The Book of Mormon to a member who rocks at member missionary work. Then we headed home for dinner. That night we went to mutual because one of our investigators and her non member friend were coming, so we got to go to the corn maze! Always fun! 

Thursday- On Thursday we had weekly planning. Which, per usual, was a long day in the house planning out the next week. Once we finally finished that we went to go see our investigator. We were really, really bummed when we pulled up and he had a cigarette in his hand, but that's okay. Repentance is real and the Lord can help us become better. :) That night we had dinner with the Talbott family and Sister Talbott bought pizza for her family and chicken wings for her and I and they were so good. Paigey was really sad she didn't get to eat wings though, so I shared. What are friends for, right?

Friday- On Friday we had service again and we helped with last minute details for the Fall Festival. After that we had lunch and Danny asked me if I was making a pie. I told him I sure was! after that we called some potential investigators, visited some investigators and then headed home for dinner. After dinner we headed home and exercised. Guess who ran an 8 1/2 minute mile? Yes I am aware that that isn't super fast, but it's a 1 1/2 minutes faster than I was running it 6 weeks ago so, progress! After that we went home and I made 2 pie crusts so that I was ready in the morning.

Saturday- The day of the Fall Festival. I woke up and started making apple pie filling and baked my pies. It's a very good thing that I made two because I made every mistake possible on the first one and made the second one the way it was supposed to be made. Baked it, finished getting ready and then headed to the Fall Festival. I dropped it off and it looked really bad. I honestly wanted to cry. It was an open faced pie and the apples did not look as pretty as they did when my mom used to make it. I was so bummed. But I dropped it off and we started walking around and talking to people. We left and went to General Conference and that was AMAZING. I don't know how but they always say exactly what I need to hear. In between sessions we went back to the festival to hear the youth in our ward play in the band and when we got there Danny came up to me and said "Hey! You won!" I was very confused until he reminded me, I entered a pie in the contest. I went and found Marsha and it turns out that the Lord blessed me for trying to get involved in the community and not only was my pie not the worst pie ever but it won second place! :) I also got the "most nostalgic" award. I was tickled half to death! We headed back to the church to watch the second session of conference and then had dinner with some members. They made us salmon, shrimp and king crab legs. It was really good!

Sunday- Sunday was General Conference part 2 and it was so good! I seriously am so excited for the conference ensign to come out so that I can re read them. The biggest thing that stuck out to me this conference was the idea of "centering our lives on Jesus Christ." I thought it was kind of odd that this stuck out to me because, I wake up every day and do my best to center my life on Jesus Christ because I'm a missionary. But as I've pondered this I started thinking about how much more centered I could be, In my thoughts and my words. I also started wondering how much more happy and successful I would be if I did give that extra effort to TOTALLY center my life on Christ. I also pondered about what if I submitted to his will CHEERFULLY. I have a bad habit of whining when the Lord asks me to do something I don't want to do and I realized it would probably be a more pleasant experience if I would accept that I need to do it and do it happily. I'm so grateful for prophets and apostles who are guided to tell us things that will bring us a happier life. 

I hope life is great for all y'all and that you enjoyed conference as well. I know that Thomas S Monson is a prophet and that he has been called of God to lead the church. I know that the gospel is true. I know that reading The Book of Mormon brings blessings. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer and that He perfectly knows us. He is with us through every hardship and every single time we fall. I'm grateful for such a devoted, older brother. I love y'all! Have a great week!

~Sister Madisen Lloyd

Picture 1: My standing by some pretty flowers ( I can't remember if I already sent this one, if I did, sorry bout it) Picture 2: My and my pie awards (  I learned from the best!) Picture 3: Our investigator with his cat on his head 



No comments:

Post a Comment